The new stadium has brought many changes for supporters. Particularly, regarding supporters' mobility.
KAA Gent asks its supporters to come to the stadium as early as possible (at least one hour before the game) on matchdays and to use sustainable or alternative means. Those who do come by car are encouraged to take part in carsharing.
To achieve this, KAA Gent and its partners drew up an extensive mobility plan that encourages the use of bikes, collective and public transport, P&R and carpooling. Those who do not use these options but, instead, use their cars, will find it hard to get close to the stadium on matchdays.
From the very opening of the stadium, KAA Gent and its partners provide:
- 800 covered bike stalls in a radius of 100 m around the stadium;
- public transport from Woodrow Wilson Square (Zuid) to the new stadium and back, organised by De Lijn and KAA Gent;
- 1000 parking spots reserved for carpoolers in a radius of 1.2 km around the stadium;
- coaches for supporters from eight directions from the greater Ghent area, organised by the KAA Gent Supporters Federation;
- shuttle buses from P&R Gentbrugge to the new stadium and back, organised by KAA Gent;
- 1200 parking spots reserved for staff, casual collaborators, the media, emergency and security services. VIPs and disabled people around the stadium.
To ensure easy access to the stadium, the UZ Gent university hospital and companies around the stadium, police will crack down hard on illegal parking in the general area around the stadium.
Should Ottergemsesteenweg road get congested, emergency and security services may consider temporarily cutting off all traffic going to the stadium to make sure they can reach the whole Ottergemsesteenweg Zuid area (including the companies located there) in case of emergency or accident.
This scheme was developed by KAA Gent, the KAA Gent Supporters Federation and the "Voetbal in de stad" community project, in collaboration with the city of Ghent, the province of East Flanders, the local Ghent police, bUZz, De Lijn, TreinTramBus and Taxistop.