Speeldag 2 - UEFA Europa League knock-out fase - 09-03-2017 at 21:05 u
On Thursday the 9th of March at 9:05 p.m. KAA Gent will play KRC Genk in the first leg of the UEFA Europa League Round of 16 in the Ghelamco Arena. One week later (16th of March at 7 p.m.), we will play the return leg in the Luminus Arena. As we did before the game against Tottenham, we will share some interesting facts and figures about these fixtures. This is part 3.
- The journey from the Ghelamco Arena to the Luminus Arena is only 125km. This is not the shortest trip though, Schalke 04 and Borussia Mönchengladbach are only separated by 63km. The longest trip is the one between Celta Vigo and Krasnodar, they will have to travel 3,806km.
- KAA Gent and KRC Genk played 56 times against each other in the Belgian competition. Genk won 27 times, Gent won 19 times and 10 matches ended in a draw.
- In those confrontations KRC Genk scored 83 times, KAA Gent 75 times.
- Both teams only met once in the Belgian Cup. In 2008/09 KAA Gent won the first leg 1-0. The second leg ended 1-0 after 90 minutes but Genk managed to score in the extra time. They went on to win the cup against KV Mechelen with Pierre Denier as head coach ad interim with Marvin Ogunjimi scoring two goals.
- KAA Gent- KRC Genk on the 7th of December 2014 ended in an 0-0 draw despite the ridiculous amount of chances for KAA Gent. After an emotional tribute to the recently deceased Luc De Vos, the Buffalos dominated all game long. After 29 chances, 12 corners, 3 balls on the woodwork and 1 missed penalty, the game ended 0-0. Genk keeper Laszlo Köteles was the man of the match thanks to his numerous saves.
- In the season 2013/14 Sebastien Dewaest and Danijel Milicevic were team-mates at Charleroi.
- In 2014/15 Milicevic and Kalifa Coulibaly were team-mates there. They’re now playing their second season together at KAA Gent.
- Between 2012 and 2016 Lovre Kalinic and Tino-Sven Susic were team-mates at Hajduk Split.
- Genk’s Tino-Sven Susic and Gent’s Danijel Milicevic are team-mates at the Bosnian national squad.