Speeldag 2 - UEFA Europa League knock-out fase - 09-03-2017 at 21:05 u
Tonight at 9:05 p.m. KAA Gent will play KRC Genk in the first leg of the UEFA Europa League Round of 16 in the Ghelamco Arena. One week later (16th of March at 7 p.m.), we will play the return leg in the Luminus Arena. As we did before the game against Tottenham, we will share some interesting facts and figures about these fixtures. This is the final part about Belgian teams in Europe.
Belgians in Europe
- This is the first time Belgium has got three teams in the Round of 16 of a same European club competition; KAA Gent, KRC Genk and RSC Anderlecht.
- With this season’s excellent results, Belgium ranks 6th in the UEFA association club coefficient this year. We are ranked just behind the Big 5; Spain, Germany, England, Italy and France.
- Overall, Belgium ranks 9th thanks to the good results of KAA Gent, KRC Genk, Club Brugge and Anderlecht in the previous five seasons. With last year’s Champions League campaign and this year’s Europa League campaign the Buffalos contributed the most points to the Belgian coefficient during the previous two seasons.
- The three Belgian teams still competing all are in the top 40 of this season’s UEFA club coefficient. KRC Genk ranks 27th, Anderlecht 34th and KAA Gent 38th.
- It only happened once before that two Belgian teams played against each other in a European cup. In 1988, KV Mechelen beat RSC Anderlecht in the Round of 16 of the UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup (first leg: KVM- RSCA 1-0, Wilmots; second leg: RSCA- KVM 0-2, Koeman & Ohana). KV Mechelen automatically qualified by winning the Cup Winners’ Cup in 1988 while Anderlecht qualified by winning the Belgian Cup.