On 31 October 1900, today exactly 116 years ago, KAA Gent was founded as the football department of the Association Athlétique La Gantoise (the Ghent Athletic Association, AAG). Its founders were Hector Priem and Auguste Van de Kerckhove. The AAG was a Ghent-based multi-sports association, which was born in 1864 as the Société Gantoise de Gymnastique and merged in 1891 with the Association Athlétique. In 1914 the association was conferred a royal warrant and was permitted, from that moment on, to call itself the Association Royale Athlétique La Gantoise (ARAG). In 1972 the name was changed to its Dutch counterpart: Koninklijke Atletiek Associatie Gent, or KAA Gent.
The home of Belgian football is Melle, near Ghent. In 1863, an Irish boarding school student, Cyril Bernard Morrogh, came home for the holidays with a football among his possessions. Former students of the college would later be involved with founding many other football clubs and the Belgian football association. People have been playing football in Ghent at the Foot-Ball Club de Gand ever since 1879. In 1895, the AAG was the only club not from Brussels to attend the first meeting of the Union Belge des Sociétés des Sports Athlétiques (the Belgian Union of Athletic Sports), the predecessor of the Belgian football association. In 1899 the Racing Club de Gand (currently the Koninklijke Racing Club Gent-Zeehaven (Royal Racing Club of Ghent-Zeehaven)) was created from a merger between three older Ghent football clubs.
You can find more on our club’s history on this page.